Summer Jobs for Students: Exploring Opportunities
Summer break – finally! Time to chill out, maybe go on vacation, and earn some cash before heading back to school. Finding a rad summer job is the perfect way to make your holidays worthwhile and afford those festivals, clothes, and nights out you’ve been dreaming about. This guide’s got the deets on scoring seasonal work and making bank over the summer months.
Why Summer Jobs are the Bomb
Sure, summer’s all about relaxing and having fun with your mates. But bringing in some money over the break has a bunch of bonuses:
- Load up your bank account for university or travel plans
- Gain experience that impresses future bosses
- Meet interesting new peeps and expand your network
- Manage your time better by balancing work and play
- Learn new skills employers look for – it all looks great on your CV!
Even part-time work for a few weeks can give you a healthy chunk of change. And you’ll feel super accomplished earning your own cash.
Killer Gigs for Students When School’s Out
You’ve got talents and interests outside of the classroom – flaunt ‘em! There are loads of seasonal jobs perfect for students looking to capitalize on their break. Here are some of the best bets:
Perks: Employee discounts for new threads, flexible hours, improve your customer service skills
Downsides: Dealing with grumpy shoppers, commission payment
Stores need more staff over summer to handle the crowds picking up sunnies and summer attire. Boutiques, department stores, supermarkets and other retail outlets frequently take on students over the holidays. Major places like Primark and Waitrose are good options.
Hospitality – Food, Bars, Hotels
Perks: Score free meals, build your people skills, fast-paced environs
Downsides: Late nights and weekends, handling problem customers
Eateries, coffee shops, pubs, event venues and other hospitality businesses ramp up hiring in the summer. Serving, bartending, front desk, and kitchen gigs are all possible. Having a friendly attitude and willingness to work odd hours will help you land these roles.
Perks: Gain experience with kids, make a difference, weekday hours
Downsides: Major responsibility for little ones, lower salaries
Parents need caretakers and fun activities for children when school’s out. Nannying, helping at day camps, babysitting – these gigs let you earn cash doing activities kids love. Great for anyone interested in teaching, child development or recreation.
Perks: Gain experience with professional software, conditioning, adult environment
Downsides: Tedious tasks like filing and data entry, lack of socializing
Receptionists, clerks, couriers and other admin personnel are sought out temporarily in many offices. The work itself might be boring, but you’ll get a taste of office life. Opportunities may be abundant at your university.
Perks: Sunshine, active gigs, flexibility
Downsides: Physically tiring, less reliable hours
Landscaping, resort work, golf course gigs, tourism guiding, and park recreation jobs match the summer vibe. Students down for sweating and being on their feet in the nice weather may dig these active roles.
Scoping Out Seasonal Openings
Start your search early and look in lots of places to find the perfect summer opportunity. Here are some top spots to dig up leads:
- Classifieds sites – PageAds and other online classifieds have local openings across industries like retail, childcare, landscaping, and more. Search by your location and interest area.
- Company career pages – Look at the jobs section of large businesses’ websites that hire seasonally – cinemas, resorts, theme parks, etc. Apply directly to places you want to work.
- Job agencies – Sign up with a temp agency specializing in seasonal gigs. They’ll hook you up with employers looking to fill temporary roles. Killer for office work and general labor.
- University job board – Your school may post openings online, hold career fairs, or have other ways to help students find work. Campus jobs in facilities, events, offices and research are common.
- Youth job sites – Targeted sites like E4S, Not Going to Uni and Student Job UK are great for uncovering student-friendly roles. Useful for niche gigs like sports coaching and tutoring.
- Social media – Slide into local businesses’ DMs on social media to inquire about openings before they’re listed. Showing interest can help you get in the door.
- Networking – Ask family, friends, professors and other connections if they know of seasonal opportunities. People are often happy to refer someone.
Rocking the Application Process
To land an in-demand summer role, you’ve gotta wow the hiring peeps. Use these tips when applying:
- Play up transferable skills – Spotlight your work ethic, team spirit, responsibility and abilities gained from past gigs, clubs, and sports.
- Write an enthusiastic cover letter – Share why you’re jazzed about the role and eager to take it on. Match your interests and talents to the job.
- Provide stellar references – Have recommendations from professors, coaches, bosses or community leaders who can vouch for your awesomeness.
- Put your best self forward – Make sure your online presence, email, appearance and voicemail are on point and professional. Bring multiple resume copies to in-person applications.
- Move quickly – Submit your app ASAP when you see an opening get listed. The best gigs go fast over summer!
- Follow up – If you haven’t heard back after applying, call or email politely to check in. Taking initiative shows you really want it.
Make the Most of Summer
A summer job is about way more than just making bank. It’s a chance to build your abilities, connect with mentors, and set yourself up for the future. By chasing openings that fit your goals and putting effort into the search, you’ll lock down a gig that pays back in experience. No matter the work, bring a positive attitude and willingness to learn.
For a beastly selection of local summer jobs ideal for students, hit up the classifieds Jobs on PageAds. You’ll find opportunities in every interest area and career field. Put in the hustle and you’ll snag a profitable summer job that keeps paying dividends beyond the sunny months!