How Men Can Style Their Outfits to Suit Different Body Types
Finding the right clothes that properly fit your body type can seem challenging. However, you can pull off stylish looks that flatter your physique, regardless of your build. Here’s how men can style outfits to suit different body types.
Identifying Your Body Type
The first step is determining your body shape. There are three main somatotypes for men:
Ectomorphs have a thin, delicate build with lean muscle mass. Their shoulders are narrow compared to their hips and they have a flat chest and butt.
Mesomorphs have a muscular and athletic physique. They have broad shoulders and chest with a narrow waist and well-defined muscles.
Endomorphs have a soft, rounder body shape. They tend to gain weight in their stomach and chest rather than their extremities. Their waist is not as defined compared to their hips and bust.
Dressing for an Ectomorph Body Type
Since ectomorphs lack mass, balance is key. Aim for straight leg and bootcut jeans to add volume to your lower half. Button-downs with vertical stripes or patterns can also help add the illusion of width.
- Crew neck and v-neck t-shirts create a clean line, avoiding too much loose fabric up top.
- Henley shirts and polo shirts with ribbed sleeves give the arms more definition.
- Add layers like sweaters, cardigans and blazers to build mass in the upper body.
- Straight or relaxed jeans and chinos add bulk below the waist.
- Avoid skinny cuts which accentuate thin legs.
- Try pleated pants and flat-front trousers in solid colors to create the illusion of width.
Jackets and Coats
- Structured jackets with light shoulder padding help broaden your frame.
- Overcoats in wool or heavy fabrics give the appearance of extra mass.
- Avoid tight jackets and coats as they can overwhelm your slight build.
You can easily find fashion tips and style inspiration by browsing the fashion section on PageAds. With categories for both men’s and women’s clothing, PageAds makes it easy to discover deals on pre-loved pieces from sellers in your area.
Dressing for a Mesomorph Body Type
Mesomorphs have naturally defined muscles, so the focus is showcasing your strong physique. Form-fitting clothes in bold patterns and striking colors help accentuate your features.
- Fitted t-shirts and polos highlight your chest and arms.
- Crew neck or v-neck shirts create clean lines down the torso.
- Bold prints and graphic tees draw the eye across your strong shoulders.
- Straight leg and slim jeans show off your leg muscles and glutes.
- Joggers and activewear with elastic or drawstring waistbands emphasize your hips and thighs.
- Try shorter inseams like 7-inch chinos to flaunt your sculpted calves.
Jackets and Coats
- Leather jackets, denim truckers and bomber styles complement your solid frame.
- Shawl collar cardigans and tailored blazers accentuate your v-shape.
- Avoid oversized cuts which can hide your physique.
Looking for deals on fashionable athletic apparel? Check out the men’s clothing listings in your area on PageAds.
Dressing for an Endomorph Body Type
Endomorphs should draw the eye upwards and create the illusion of a defined waist. Monochromatic looks and vertical patterns help elongate your silhouette.
- Wear collared shirts, polos and button-downs, leaving collars unbuttoned for a long, lean look.
- Choose fitted styles instead of loose, boxy cuts to prevent adding volume.
- Single color tops with minimal detailing create clean sightlines.
- Opt for straight leg, bootcut or slim jeans to balance fuller hips and thighs.
- Pleated pants and trousers work better than flat front, which can cling to the stomach area.
- Medium to high-rise fits help define the waistline.
Jackets and Coats
- Structured blazers and tailored coats contour the waist.
- Darker shades like black, navy and charcoal are slimming colors.
- Lightweight unstructured cuts skim the body without bulking up the frame.
Smart Styling Hacks for All Body Types
Check the community classifieds on PageAds to connect with people selling quality pre-owned clothing locally.
No matter your build, a few simple styling tricks help look your best:
- Play with proportions – Balancing tops and bottoms creates a more even silhouette. If you have a larger top half, wear untucked tops with medium-rise bottoms. If you have thicker legs, try a longer top with high-waisted pants.
- Choose vertical patterns – Stripes, pinstripes and subtle vertical details elongate the body’s appearance. Avoid wide horizontal stripes which can widen your frame.
- Monochromatic looks – Sticking to one color family slims the body’s outline. Try shades like black, gray, navy and brown head to toe.
- Prioritize fit – Clothes that are too loose simply hide your form, while overly tight styles can unflatteringly cling. Focus on well-fitted garments in breathable fabrics.
- Posture matters – Good posture instantly makes you look more confident. Stand tall with shoulders back to highlight your silhouette.
Finding your style is about embracing your natural shape. With the right slimming and elongating techniques, you can accentuate your physique and show off your best assets, regardless of your somatotype
Next time you’re looking to revamp your wardrobe, check out the amazing deals on high-quality pre-owned fashion available through community sellers on PageAds. The platform makes it easy to connect with sellers in your local area to find unique styles and bargains on everything from clothing to shoes, jewelry, bags and more.